11 July 2007

The Dinner Bell

Tonight I boiled, chopped, melted, stirred, folded in and dipped out... my dinner. Then promptly made a good portion for my sweet labrador, libby. In days gone by dinner has been feat of creating something from bare cupboards, a finely honed skill, and later, a demonstration of how I could do anything in the kitchen on any given day with little to no notice.

Now it's just lonely. No little faces at the table to taste the creative culinary concoctions from my kitchen... the truest little food critics I've ever had. I miss the satisfaction that comes from their approval... even if it was just macaroni.

3 Comments:

Blogger morbid misanthrope said...

I like my macaroni with dog meat in it ... I mean hot dogs.

19:06  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

There is something so completely gratifying about nurturing your family. And to do it on a shoestring, if you will, or in some way that finds you "making something out of nothing" is kind of the true essence of Motherhood. It's so utterly basic and primal. We do feel that loss, profoundly sometimes, when we're denied an outlet that maternal instinct to provide for our children.

09:40  
Blogger One Wink at a Time said...

(...an outlet for that maternal instinct...:

09:42  

Post a Comment

BACK